Sweet Stewed Bananas
- 1 kg ripe cooking bananas
- 300 g dark brown sugar or palm sugar
- 1 liter Water
- 500 ml Fresh cream, evaporated milk or coconut cream
- Crushed ice
- Slice each banana diagonally into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine sugar or palm sugar and water in a casserole dish or pot and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves.
- Add the bananas and return to the boil. Lower heat and simmer until bananas are tender and the liquid becomes thick and syrupy, about 40 minutes. Skim off any impurities that rise to the top and discard.
- Stir in vanilla essence and set aside to cool.
- Spoon bananas and syrup into serving bowls. Add ¼ cup (60 ml) fresh cream or evaporated milk or coconut cream to each serving. Top with crushed ice.
Fresh coconut cream :
- may be obtained by grating the flesh of 1 coconut into a bowl (this yields about 3 cups of grated coconut flesh).
- Add ½ cup water and knead thoroughly a few times, then squeeze the mixture firmly in your fist or strain with a muslin cloth or cheese cloth.
Palm sugar : ranges in color from golden brown to dark brown. It has a distinctive, maple-syrup flavor.